fot

Re: STEERING RACKS

To: <mporter@zianet.com>, <Gt6steve@aol.com>
Subject: Re: STEERING RACKS
From: "John Kipping" <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 18:34:11 +1200
The same steering rack body was used for a variety of cars ie Herald,
Vitesse, GT6, Spitfire, TR 4/5/6 and all 2000/2500. (however note early
heralds and TR4? with the solid rack mounts use a body without the plates
for the rubber mounts, and these same early racks have some strange parts in
them). After around 1962 I think they were all commonized, obviously LHD and
RHD are different and a variety of lengths and size of steering arm are
fitted. The rack is also I think the same each time (and also RH and LH
drive) and this was used in the 1300FWD as well. Now to go with this rack
are either six or seven tooth pinions, with the quicker seven tooth one
fitted to Herald, Spitfire and Vitesse 1600, (don't know about TR4), (again
RHD and LHD are different). In the Herald/Spitfire cars this gives 3 3/4
turns lock to lock and the six tooth gives 4 1/4. Other cars have less turns
lock to lock as the total movement is restricted. What this all means in
practice is that fitting a Spitfire pinion to a TR6 gives a quicker ratio.
John Kipping