fot

GRM sort of triumph related.

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: GRM sort of triumph related.
From: "andrew stark" <whitedog72@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 16:22:00 +0000
After reading about Tim's Mini van experience I sat down and looked at what
my Chrysler product has done to me. ( This is going to be a bitch session
hold on ! )
  First let me compare three of my  cars and what they have cost me.

95 Toyota Celica GTS. Not to offend any ladies in FOT but this is a Chick
car to the max. I love it! It is uncomfortable as hell for 6'1" guy but is
my daily driver. For one simple reason. It will never die!
I paid $22,500 for it new off the lot with all the bells and whistles I
could get. So far it has a smidge over 130,000 miles on it.
Maintenance and repairs have been $2,820.00 in almost eight years I have
owned it.
These include: Timing belt, tune up, and tires at 75,000 miles
                26 oil and airfilter changes
                Brakes, major tune up and open check book to the
                dealer at 128,000 miles to make sure it goes another
                100,000 miles before my back gives out.
                The dealership gave me a free rental when I did that.
Cost per mile of owning car so far has been  2cents a mile and complete
worry free driving.

2nd car is my 98 Dodge Durango. This is the family car. My car.    ( Well it
was for a short while.) It was to be my tow vehicle and work truck when my
wife did not need it. Well she liked it alot so it became my tow vehicle
only and her every day car. This did not last long. What I did not know is
Dodge has very cleverly install timed components into this vehicle. ( Better
grab a beer this is going to the long part of my Bitch)
               Maint. and breakages.
               20, 40 and 60,000miles  complete front end rebuilds
               14 oil changes,
               36,200 miles bad front hub.
               36,125 in the dark in the mountains down hill (fast)
               O2 censors failed telling the engine to shut down. Cost
               alot and caused pulled muscle from trying to stop it
               and steer on steep mountain road with absolutely no
               power.
               52,000miles GD sensors failed again. This time I had an
               anchor ready!
               Battery at 18  months to the day I bought the truck.
               (Celica still has original battery)
               Every other time I rotate the tires the rear studs seem
               fall out with out much effort. This can be really
               costly if it happens in the wrong way! ( Never had this
               happen on any other car I have owned. ( Finally went
               ARP studs and problem solved.
               Water pump and belt twice!
               Full brake job at 59k (Rotors and Drums were wasted!)
               One bearing bad.
               Headlights at 60k
               Lots of fuses blown for not apparent reason.
               Dimmer switch replaced
               Rear washer stopped working When I don't know.
               Washer fluid system in front crapped out at 50k. Eight
               week wait on parts so I said F&*k it and built my own
               out of ball point pen parts and Radio control airplane
               fuel tubing with a boost pump. I can now hit a kid two
               houses over if I want. ;o)
               60k the transfer case started leaking. Mechanic at
               Dodge confessed that I will be lucky to get 80k out of
               the transmission.
               Just as it hit 70k I replaced the tires. During install
               it was pointed out to me that 3 out of 4 shocks were
               leaking!
I have spent just over $4,800.00 in maint. and repair in 70,000 miles. This
by far the worst vehicle I have ever owned. That is 17% of the cost of the
truck new! About 7 cents a mile.  The problem is. It is such a darn good tow
vehicle for its size and comfort I am going to keep the damn thing!

Third Vehicle is the Gt-6. I have had it 12 years. Paid $100.00 for it and
initially restored it for about $3,500.00. Since then I have drove the
living crap out of it. I have spent upwards of $23,000 gettin where it is
today. It has never failed to get me home when it was a street car. Has
always been the envy of any gear head that has been to the garage and is
responsible for my divorce from my first wife and then the hook for my 2nd
wife. It also is the sole reason I keep that damn Durango!
So which is worse the Durango or the sweet little she devil it pulls to the
track!
   OK done babbling. It made no sense. I am just pissed at new cars made
supossedly in the US!
How many FOTers are going to the Runoffs. Maybe we should meet up. I will be
there Thurs through Sat. With our 64 Spit GP car. Look for it #65 blue and
white.
                            Thanks for the shoulder
                                Andy

PS Tim will it be the evaporator that breaks my back on this Dodge? ;o)