fot

Re: Watkins Glen Follow up race report

To: "jaboruch" <jaboruch@netzero.net>
Subject: Re: Watkins Glen Follow up race report
From: tr3a@att.net
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 14:07:50 +0000
> I finally got around to tearing the engine down and found 6 cracks in
> the head, with one of them quite large.  All of these were clearly
> visible without the need for magnaflux.  Oh well - time to build
> another head.  I guess 0.205 off a head is too much, without the set
> screws for support.  The head was built back in the mid 70's and that
> is how it was done then.

Everyone seems to prefer running the later heads without the ball cut
enlargements at the inlet port (right where the inlet manifold is atttached).
Obviously  using this head has the advantageous of a better match up to the
long running intake, therefore better flow.  This head also has the chamfered
squish area.  The early (high port) heads had the squared off squish area
(resulting in a higher compression ratio), but had the ball cut inlet ports.
Has anyone welded up the chamfer in the early head, so that the squared off
squish section could be used to provide higher compression, without cutting
the head quite as thin.

This seems like a simple solution, but I wonder why it isn't what you guys are
doing.

This is the first of a few "how come" questions, as I prepare to finish my TR3
street/AutoX engine, which still has an unmodified head.

Thanks in advance,

Jack Brooks