fot

Re: TR-4 accelerator linkage shaft

To: "'FOT'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR-4 accelerator linkage shaft
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 23:38:12 -0600
Tim, I had a similar situation.  To get it apart, I took the right hand
side loose as much as possible.  Then I took the left hand metal bearing
cover loose from the firewall (4 hex head screws).  This allowed me to push
the shaft and bearing toward the right side of the car, exposing the nylon
bearing in the engine compartment.  This works best with the engine and
gearbox out so you can stand where the engine used to be.  I then took my
cutoff wheel and sliced through the nylon bearing, destroying it and
removing it from the shaft.  The collar / sleeve is still on the shaft, but
it will go through the hole in the firewall, allowing you to remove the
pedal and shaft.  With these removed, you can try to beat the shaft
straight enough to get the collar / sleeve off.  I never succeeded at the
straightening / removing collar part (didn't get that far) - bought another
car instead.  I'm a little nervous cutting the shaft apart and doing the
two piece thing, but it's probably just fine.  I prefer the linkage over a
cable - I think it looks better and is less prone to failure.  That is pure
opinion and is only based on failures caused by the ground strap breaking
(the throttle cable becomes the ground strap).  I have seen the linkage
come loose too.  Nascar uses a linkage.  Formula cars use cables.  Both
work fine.

- Tony Drews
'63 TR-4 #95