fot

Re: Retorquing head gaskets

To: Susan and Jack Brooks <tr3a@att.net>
Subject: Re: Retorquing head gaskets
From: Chuck Arnold <Chuck.Arnold@oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 15:59:14 -0800
This has been a most interesting string.  I will be putting the head back on my
late
block TR6 next weekend using a teflon coated gasket.  Will use the "take your
time
between cycles" approach.  Would never have thought to do it without the list!
I do
plan to break in the new cam for twenty minutes or so, then retorque hot also.
Thanks,
Chuck

Susan and Jack Brooks wrote:

> FOT,
>
> As with Michael, I found that time alone allowed for additional torquing with
> composite gaskets.  I first discovered this with my Norton motorcycle.  The
> "flame ring" gasket at the bottom of the jugs (cylinders) compressed
>overnight.
> If you didn't wait, and installed the head, there was no going back to
>retighten
> it.  The next day, significant retightening was required. Waiting one more day
> provided little or no further tightening.
>
> When I installed composite gaskets in my TR3, I retightened the next day,
> without needing to loosen first.  I also retorque hot immediately and retorque
> cold 500 miles later.
>
> Jack Brooks
>
> >As for the use of composite or composite sandwich gaskets, I've
> >developed a procedure over the years that seems to minimize problems if
> >the head isn't immediately retorqued, and it seems to work, since I
> >haven't had any head gaskets fail. On initial torque, I take plenty of
> >time between cycles of increasing torque, usually fifteen minutes or
> >more. If torque would be normally split in four cycles, I let perhaps
> >ten-fifteen minutes go by between each. That allows for progressive
> >compression of composite gaskets. On the last go-round, I wait maybe
> >thirty minutes and then do a last check to specified torque. This also
> >helps greatly with used studs and nuts--if one stud or nut is failing
> >because it's yielded, that shows up as a loose nut on final torque
> >check. All this extra time gives composite gaskets more time to relax.

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
Chuck.Arnold.vcf]