fot

Re: Fly Wheel Protection Question

To: "Bolton, Rich" <rbolton@chartbank.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fly Wheel Protection Question
From: "Don Marshall" <marshall@nefcom.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 17:21:33 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bolton, Rich" <rbolton@chartbank.net>
To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 12:23
Subject: Fly Wheel Protection Question

> My questions is.......What is (if any) the normal practice that everyone
is
> using to protect the cockpit area from this type of failure?  Do I need to
> consider similar protection from the drive shaft (since it is about 6
inches
> from me)?

> I have heard of things called "blast blankets", and "tunnel skirts" that
are
> suppose to give the driver additional protection. Do these devices work,
and
> if so, where do I find the source for these types of products or are they
> just gimmicks?

Hi Rich,  I hope they're not a gimmick because that's what I'm using... it
wraps the whole transmission and supposedly will contain all the bits
inside.  The problem I see with the steel and aluminum shields is that they
only protect you from bits flying straight out toward your feet and legs.
I've heard stories, which may just be urban legends, about bits ricocheting
off the track under the car and coming back up through the floor.  By the
time they get back up to the floor the car has moved a foot or two forward
exposing other body parts to potential damage.  Someone on the list had a
run of ballistic blankets made a couple years ago, I don't remember who just
now or whether it's possible to get more.  Whatever, I'm happy I have one.
Cheers, Don