fot

Free CD Offer

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Free CD Offer
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 14:11:59 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

In a way, this is an unsolicited e-mail offer, aka SPAM. But I think there
might be a few folks on this list interested in a "free offer".

During the '02 Mid-Ohio event, I was lucky enough to get a "hot pass"
allowing me to fulfill a fantasy of sorts - taking some close-up pictures
of race cars at full chat. In typical fashion, I left all my film at home
so I had to lean on the generosity of fellow FOT Rich Bolton for media. He
graciously donated about 9 rolls of film to this project.

That said, I managed to snap about 200 photographs of cars on track (and a
few in the paddock). Most of the pictures were shot either at the keyhole,
madness or the carousel. Some are a bit dodgy and some are actually pretty
good, if I must say so. There are some non-Triumph pictures, but to be
honest, the Group 6 cars whizzing by at the top of "madness" got me into
"Foto Fevah". SO there are some 'Vettes, Camaros and 'Stangs in there too.

I manged to scan in the pictures worth scanning (and some that were
marginal) and put them onto a CD. The CD contains three different "slide
shows". One slide show displays the pictures in order (5 seconds per
picture), one shows them in "random order" and the third is a ".scr" file
meaning that it can be used as a screen saver if you coax your PC into
using the right file.

The files are "pc only", no Macs or Unix machines - sorry. These are
"executable images" made by a program called IrfanView, whatever that
means. There are no individual .jpg files, although I can provide raw
jpegs if there is interest in those on a case-by-case basis.

Okay - here's the offer: I'm going to "burn" a few copies over the next
few weeks. How many I burn depends on what sort of response I get from
this list. My intent is not to spend a lot of time distributing these
pictures - I'd just like to get them in the hands of enthusiasts. SO I
will make some to be determined number of CD-ROMS that I will pack into my
TR6 for the trip to Mosport in June. I will "earmark" however many of
these things that folks request and I will make a few more for random
distribution. If you let me know that you want one of these things, drop
me an e-mail message and I will burn one. You'll have to approach me at
Mosport to get your copy. I DO NOT INTEND TO MAIL ANY OF THESE CD'S EXCEPT
FOR A FEW EXCEPTIONS.

So, there you have it. A SPAM message with a Triumph twist. If you feel
that you must contribute something for this CD, by all means contribute
some $$$ to your favorite charity, right now I don't need any money for
this project because the film was "donated" and the computer time was
free too. Sure the CD-R disks cost something, but I've got a fairly large
pile of them stacked up after the winter holidays, it seems that there
were rebates a plenty for CD'R's. So my net cost was simply my time, and I
actually enjoyed putting this CD together.

Sure some new slicks for the race car would be nice, but I can handle that
on my own...

Happy Triumphing
rml
p.s. I retain copyright on all the photographs and if anyone wants to
reproduce the pictures I kindly ask that you request doing so in writing
as long as you promise to give full credit to the photographer.
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |