fot

Re: Fuel starvation problem

To: "Randy B. Williams" <rwilliams@williamsoil.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel starvation problem
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 07:32:40 -0500
I had exactly the same problem five years ago. You can measure the problem
with an egt gauge, though, because it does indeed go to zero when the
engine runs out of fuel on long straights. We chased it for two seasons
before we cured it. I tell people the answer, but folks just don't want to
believe it because ee don't know the theoretical reason(!!!!!!).

If you have an electric fuel pump and a regulator, and both of them are
near the same pressure, this happens. For example -- the Facet pump that
puts out maybe 5 psi and the NAPA regulator set to 3 psi. It will happen
quite often -- just on long straights.

You can fix it by using a Holley 15 psi pump and a Holley low pressure
regulator, regulated down to whatever you like. This eliminates the problem.

There is another aspect to this as well. Watching your fuel pressure gauge
while you are running the car up on a chassis dyno is pretty interesting.
If the regulator is set at the "proper" 3 psi at idle,  then by the time
the engine reaches 6000 rpm, the pressure may be near zero! I now run my
regulator at 7 psi, and at 6000 rpm, it is down to three. And, by the way,
although all the books and all the experts say not to run over 3 psi on
SU's, I now have 20 race weekends on my set of stock float valves, with no
leaks yet.

Hope this helps somebody.