fot

Re: Difference Between TR2 and TR3 Small Mouth Front ?

To: Ryoung@navcomtech.com
Subject: Re: Difference Between TR2 and TR3 Small Mouth Front ?
From: Group44TR7@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 11:57:01 EDT
In a message dated 5/26/2003 5:33:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Ryoung@navcomtech.com writes:

> However, I just noticed something else ... the clutch and brake master
> cylinders are from a TR3, and the voltage regulator is in the position used
>on
> post-60K TR3A.  I'd almost suspect it was a TR3A in TR2 clothing, except
>there
> are lots of other body details that are clearly TR2 or early TR3.  Obviously
> a car with a long and checkered past <g>

       The car shell is definitely a TR2 long door, commission TR3281L. The
fact that the engine, gearbox, and rear has been changed, along with the scars
from a roll bar setup, the modification to the hood, and various body buises,
suggest someone had alot of fun with this car.
       It is ironic that you should say that about a TR3A in Tr2 clothing,
because that is exactly how one of the old grassroots racers described his TR2
longdoor. He said that the TR2 engine, gearbox, and rear were so unrealiable
that they had to switch for simply reliability, plus they provided some
competitive advantage. The seeming match between the older grassroots guys
basic
description and the car, made me believe that maybe there was some truth to the
legend from past owners that this car had been used competitively.
       I always held out hope that someone in the Midwest would identify this
car, but that simply as not happened. But then there not that much
distinctive about it.

       Thanks all for your help...Cary