fot

Re: HS6 Volvo vs. TR

To: "BOB KRAMER" <rkramer3@austin.rr.com>, "FOT LIST"
Subject: Re: HS6 Volvo vs. TR
From: Henry Frye <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 08:45:44 -0400
>At 10:15 PM 6/2/03 -0500, BOB KRAMER wrote:
>
> >I have purchased 2 pairs of HS6 SU's on eBay, both advertised as a
> direct fit
> >onto a Triumph. I also purchased a pair locally where the seller told me
> that
> >they would fit a Volvo, not a TR. I finally got around to looking at all 3
> >pairs together and I've been snookered, they are all Volvo's. My
> question is,
> >are the float bowls for the TR's available anywhere. I have spare needles.
> >Otherwise they appear that they will work.

There are three differences that I know between the TR HS6 and the Volvo HS6.

On the Volvo carb, the flange the air cleaner bolts to has 3 bolt holes and
is triangular, while the TR carb has only two bolt holes and the flange is
the typical TR shape.

Second, the little bit that sets the correct angle to the float bowl is
different. Luckily, when you buy the major rebuild kit from Moss they
include that bit so the float bowl sits correctly.

Third, the bracket that the linkage attached to is different. It works
perfectly, but is arranged differently. Possibly, the little linkages on
the throttle shaft return springs are different, I have seen two
variations. As long as you get the complete set with the bracket, it works
fine. Another note, if you bought one of the Drews/Southwick heat shields
and it fouled the linkage so bad it won't work, you probably have the Volvo
bracket. My heat shield bolted up and fit almost perfectly, only requiring
a slight bend in the long link from the accel pedal shaft to the triangular
bellcrank on the bracket.

Well, actually, there are four differences... The third being astute ebay
sellers know if they put the "Triumph" name on the auction, they get many
hits and big money. If they put Volvo, they get a couple hits and don't
sell the part!

Cheers