fot

Fuel pumps

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel pumps
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2003 18:53:42 -0500
I have a blue Holley but use a low pressure regulator.

After standing next to a couple of cars on the chassis dyno (not
recommended behavior) and watching the fuel pressure, on these two cars at
least when the fuel pressure is set to 7 or 8 psi at idle it will drop to
less than 3 at 6500 rpm.

I've run my regulator at 8 psi because of this and have never had a
problem, despite the theoretical design parameter of 3 psi for SU's. I did
have to replace my float valves this year after four years. Sure got my
money's worth on those. They still had no apparent leakage but looked bad
and I didn't want anyone to make fun of my poor appearing float valves so I
changed them.

Because three of us competitors at Mosport were experiencing strange
behavior with our systems, all three having Holley pumps and regulators, I
consulted with my experts at TheCarShopInc and sure enough, serious
roundy-rounders have abandoned the Holley regulators in favor of the
Mallory or BG (Barry Grant, I think). Both are available from Car Shop or
Summit etc. The only downside is that those two are about $100. That's
probably going to be my replacement, as soon as I win enough prize money in
vintage racing to be able to afford it. My current sponsor takes a dim view
of it at this time -- her priorities run to the food and clothing end of
the specturm.

uncle jack