fot

RE: Fix for TR brakes

To: "'Tony Drews'" <tony@tonydrews.com>, FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Fix for TR brakes
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 16:18:20 -0700
This is how Ducati single-sided swing arms work. The stress on the axle is
actually light--it's all tension instead of some shear because the spacers
(when it's all set up correctly) put the load onto the bearings. If you
leave out the spacer or set the preload incorrectly the axle breaks.
Believe me--I know. I did it wrong once. Didn't die, so it's a lesson, eh?

Right now the Triumph design is a bit goofy, placing all the bending
stress on the axle. It's just like the Ducati without spacers, except the
part is designed to handle the stress of street driving. If all you people
would just slow down you wouldn't have any problems.

Someone would have to do a more complete analysis, but it's not always
true that when you eliminate a problem in one place that it crops up
elsewhere. Replacing a weak link in a strong chain can raise the breaking
point way beyond any likely stress. I suspect we'll find this mod is like
that. I don't see any other weak links except the hub, and we have two
very pretty solutions for that. Which reminds me, I met the folks that do
the other hub that's in Kas' book--they were at the All British Field
Meet/Columbia River Classic with one copy of the book in their booth.
Kas--you should have seen the interest. I bet they could have sold five
hundred copies right there. The Southwick hubs look very nice, but theirs
are frankly nicer. You can kind of tell that in the book. They don't have
a TR3/4/6 version but will make them as soon as they get hold of an axle
and upright. They had a Spitfire in their booth that probably makes 200HP.
Totally outlaw of course--it has Mikuni flat-slide carbs and a bunch of
goodies.