fot

Re: Another Wayward Flywheel

To: <mporter@zianet.com>, "Larry Young" <cartravel@pobox.com>
Subject: Re: Another Wayward Flywheel
From: "Charly Mitchel" <charly@mitchelplumbing.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 08:26:39 -0700
Larry,
when mine sheared off I went to Sears and purchased a set of bolt extractors
that have a drill built into them.  You run them in reverse and they drill
and then you screw a collar into the hole and it grabs and backs it out.  I
broke one trying to do it, but the second try worked.
I was concerned about when I tried drilling the bolts I'd actually screw
them down into the tapped end of the crank, and not be able to reach them
with my ease out.  I was also told that a left handed drill bit (one that
drills in the counter clock-wise direction) would do the same because it
would be putting pressure on the bolt to unscrew it as you drilled.
I was also told by a fellow who works on many types of mechanical systems
that once the tapped threads have been stretched, they will never be the
same for holding the bolts.
Charly