fot

Re: TR7 Conversion to V8

To: <Group44TR7@aol.com>, "Friends of Triumph" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR7 Conversion to V8
From: "Charly Mitchel" <charly@mitchelplumbing.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 08:17:45 -0800
My feeling is the carb engine.  But if you want the PI, you have 2 ways to
consider it, the simplest which would have probably been the earliest, or the
most efficient, which would be the latest.
We have a customer up here who put a fairly late model Disco motor in his MGB.
He was having all sorts of problems trying to get it to run.  He didn't use
the part of the wiring harness that went to the trans, because there was no
where to hook it.  The car ran terribly rich, we could decide if it was the
harness or a bad sensor or what.  The problem was we couldn't do anything for
him, or experience is in carbs, and the only solution I knew was to send him
to the LR dealer.  I thought this to be it bit funny, pulling up to the
service bay in an MG to get it tuned up.
Anyway, I think I'd try to get a motor which is operable with minimal
electronics, possibly disconnect several components not used and see how it
runs before I bought it.
Remember that the latest motors monitor everything.  The coolant level was
down on my Disco the other day, so the alarm system starts doing funny things.
I topped of the coolant (actually did my 2 year change) and a day later
everything went back to normal.  I've had times when I've turned the key on
too fast and the motor wouldn't start.  Turn it of and back on and it starts.
Something about the computer not being able to check all the systems before I
tried to start it.
Just my opinion, Charly