fot

Re: TR8 Value vs Low Production Numbers

To: BillB@bnj.com, jmwagner@greenheart.com
Subject: Re: TR8 Value vs Low Production Numbers
From: Group44TR7@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 08:15:04 EST
In a message dated 1/10/2004 4:38:15 PM Pacific Standard Time, BillB@bnj.com
writes:

> There's not much correlation between rarity and value. Desirability comes
> first, and then you add rarity--especially rarity caused by the item being
> expensive in the first place, though even that doesn't always help. Consider
> the DeLorean. Expensive, rare, and still no one wants one because they
> sucked.

I agree with your comment that value is based on the combination of both
publicly perceived desirability as well as rarity. Personally, I do not put the
TR8 is the category of cars that sucked, so I still think they are very
undervalued in today's market.

If one looks at the car from the standpoint of original costs verses current
prices, it has done okay for itself. However, when you consider that nice TR3
Street cars are going for two to four times as much as a nice TR8, it seems
undervalued. It will be interesting to see what happens to TR8 values when the
generation that grew up with them gets older and starts seeking out their
adolescent fantasies.

These cars seem to already enjoy a much better value in the UK, but this may
be because they are much rarer there due to fact that most TR8 were exported.
However, as was pointed out earlier, for a few thousand dollars one can build
a TR7V8 that has much better performance than the original TR8. Putting 250 HP
in one of these cars provides awesome performance.

Best Wishes, Cary