fot

Fwd: Chevy 5.3 Litre Powered Tow Vehicle

To: fot@autox.team.net ('fot@autox.team.net')
Subject: Fwd: Chevy 5.3 Litre Powered Tow Vehicle
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 12:48:50 EST
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Full-name: BillDentin
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 11:13:07 EST
Subject: Re: Chevy 5.3 Litre Powered Tow Vehicle
To: lang@isis.mit.edu

In a message dated 03/18/2004 8:38:42 AM Central Standard Time,
lang@isis.mit.edu writes:

> I'm with the previous poster - more is more betterer when you pull an
> enclosed trailer. 5.3 liters is marginal, the 6.0 is better. Diesel is the
> best (if you can lay out the cash.) Also note that gears will help a lot
> (go for 3.73 or 4.10 on the GM products). The 4.10 gears will move your
> GCWR up a couple of thousand pounds.

Could not agree more.  I too haul a twenty foot Pace America closed trailer.
In and around the mid-west I tow with my 1950 Chevrolet One Ton Panel truck
(the engine upgrade is a 1966 292 straight six out of a school bus).  But on
the long hauls, I use our company's yard goat, which is a 1996 Ford F250 pick
up
with the big power stroke diesel.  Incredible power.  Never even breathes
hard, even on those ball buster hills up to the Glen.  And I suggest that these
engines are in fact economical selections, if you use life cycle costing.  You
might have to freshen the tranny half way through, but that engine is good for
300,000-350,000 miles easy.

Bill Dentinger