fot

Re: Calling you tire/suspension experts

To: "Bill Babcock" <BillB@bnj.com>,
Subject: Re: Calling you tire/suspension experts
From: "John Price" <jprice1@txcyber.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:16:01 -0500
Bill:

   You are absolutely right about the bump steer. I spent two weeks
adjusting to bump steer out of my TVR (that included the time for machining
new parts). I am amused at Carrol Smith's instructions on measuring bump
steer with a dial indicator. I had to measure mine with a yardstick! The
final solution was to raise the end of the tie rod at the steering arm 1/2",
but I had to redesign the tie rod end assembly to do it. As to
over-springing to stop bump steer, I quote Fred Puhn: "If it can't move, it
can't bump steer". A friend of mine in England races a TVR Tuscan and uses
800# springs in the front. He says some of the Griffith guys have gone to
1000# springs.

John

> You can affect bump steer by raising or lowering the rack or moving it
> forward and back. You can also affect it with changes to the steering arm
or
> tie rod length, but that's harder.
>
> Zero static bump steer happens when the pivot ends of the tie rod are in
> line with an imaginary line drawn between the upper and lower suspension
> pivots at both ends, and the angle of the tie rod enables an imaginary
line
> drawn through it to intersect with the instant center (the intersection of
> lines drawn through the suspension arms extended to an imaginary point).
You