fot

Re: alum head

To: henry@henryfrye.com
Subject: Re: alum head
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 09:45:16 EDT
In a message dated 06/02/2004 10:14:06 PM Central Daylight Time,
henry@henryfrye.com writes:

> I only know of one of those heads out here in FOT land, on Bill Dentinger's
>
> shop shelf. I seem to remember Bill telling me the Beady Eye boys couldn't
> get the head gasket to seal. That's a shame, as the Thunderbolt could run
> it anywhere.
>
> I am sure the only reason Bill has not chimed in yet is he is busily
> preparing his car for VIR as well!

Amici:

The latter is correct, but the former is in error.  Mordy originally E-mailed
me direct, and I responded to him off the List.  Basically I said..."They
really look neat.  We had some head gasket sealing issues.  I am not using it
now, but it is on one of my other engines.  I'll use it again at some point.  I
am not convinced it offers me any significant performance advantage other than
reduced weight, and to a lesser degree faster cooling.  At my personal World
Class weight, what's the point?  What I should probably do is put the aluminum
head on the engine, and strap the regular head in the passenger seat for
ballast.  That probably would improve handling significantly.

And yes...I'm trying to get ready for VIR...and then my damn'd BRICKLAYERS
went out on strike.  Life sure is interesting.

Bill (Damdinger)