fot

RE: Accusump in my future - bad news, good news

To: "'Jack W. Drews'" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Accusump in my future - bad news, good news
From: "Don Marshall" <marshall@nefcom.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:10:48 -0400
Jack wrote:  "VIR was a wonderful event, no matter what."

Ditto that... Thanks to everyone who made it possible and, in my case,
especially to Joe Alexander for some of the best racing I've experienced
to date, except that after a few laps I always seemed to wind up looking
at his tail lights.

Then Jack wrote:  "But, in the last race my engine quit and the oil
pressure light came on. I got it off the course as soon as possible, and
I think the wait for a tow truck taught me the meaning of the term
"eternity". "

Ditto that too, except that I was tipped off by smoke in the cockpit and
managed to shut it down while it still showed 5-10 pounds of oil
pressure.  I watched the last couple laps from the corner station at the
Hog Pen.  I just now got a chance to start looking at the engine and
found a fair amount of fine metal filings in the oil filter but nothing
in the oil from the sump.  Hopefully there are no chunks still in the
pan.  It's possible that my accusump saved me from more serious damage.

The good news is that after my performance at VIR, Jolene thinks I need
more power and endurance.  She also thinks I need a better engine in the
racecar, so we'll be stepping up to a little more horsepower soon.
Cheers, Don