fot

Lime Rock SCCA Race

To: "Friends of Triumph" <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lime Rock SCCA Race
From: "jaboruch" <jaboruch@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 23:38:44 -0400
I had one of my best races ever last weekend at Lime Rock.  This was
with the SCCA's Historic Racing Group (HRG) (formerly known as Volvo
Historic Series).  I was fortunate to start the race from the pole.  I
got lucky with this, since my fast lap was my second lap.  On about
the third lap of qualifying a Camaro oiled the downhill and no one
went fast after that.

For the start, I had a Mustang next to me, a Mini behind me and 25
other assorted cars behind that.  At the start, the Mustang took off
and a big block Vette came flying by and the Mini tucked in behind me.
We went around a few times in that order, since I could not get by the
Vette.  The Mini got impatient and got by me in the left hander, only
to get stuck behing the Vette himself.  For a few laps, a would pass
the Mini on the straight only to have him take it back in Big Bend.  I
was able to pass the mini on the uphill in traffic and was able to
make that stick.  A couple laps later I got by the Vette in traffic on
the main straight and pulled away from him.  Now I was running second,
behind the Stang.  With six laps to go a full course yellow came out,
due to a car in the guardrail on the uphill.

The green came back with 3 laps to go.  On the restart, the Vette came
flying by again, but this time I was able to stay inside him through
big bend and beat him to the left hander, pulling well away from him.
On the last lap, I set myself up for a fast run at the uphill, knowing
that the Stang would brake for it and I don't.  I passed him at the
top of the hill and was able to get back on line for West Bend.  At
the top of the downhill the Stang pulled along side me on the inside,
but then backed off.  I was able to stay in front of him to the finish
line taking my first overall win. Later the Stang driver noted that he
was looking to come down the hill along side me, but realized that he
could never make it without taking both of us out, so he backed off.
What a race!!!  I hardly slept that night, re-living that last lap
over and over.  Joe(B)