fot

Re: Moldex price and delivery

To: Gt6steve@aol.com
Subject: Re: Moldex price and delivery
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 11:02:08 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 Gt6steve@aol.com wrote:

> Crikey Shane,
> I didn't even consider that aspect.  What's what on that deal?  Is the long
> nose the early one?

Yes, the long "tail" crank is the early one.

> When did it change?

1970-ish. My best guess - CC50000. Note that the TR250 used the long-tail
crank too. I would guess all the 6-cylinder mark I 2500's use the
long-tail too. But that's just a guess.

> Any idea what the percentage mix
> would be?

Most of them out there now will be the later style crank. The factory had
an advisory to install the late crank when all the NOS long-tail cranks
were used up. Note that the flywheel is different and must stay with same
(early crank/early flywheel and late/late) and they cannot be
interchanged.

> As in, would racers be typically using one or the other?  I guess the
> GT6 would be short nose?

I know nothing about GT6 crank, so will cede to others' opinion. The best
aspect of the early setup is that the flywheel is a flat plane and is also
a tad lighter in stock form. So the racer advantage is that the early
crank has the mass concentrated at the tail of the crank near the
centerline of the crank and overall the assembly is a tad lighter (only a
few pounds).

The trouble is (at least in the USofA) - try to get your hands on a
long-tail crank that's not cracked from use over the years... but you can
still find NOS late style cranks and most parts motors that I come across
have the late style crank in them. So your choice is pretty much made for
you. :-) The situation might be different in the UK, as they got other
cars that use the 2.5 liter six motor...

Truth be told, the racers of TR6's would have some advantage to agree on
one or the other (I would think late-style would be the better choice) and
just let the other ones die out. For example - try to find an early
flywheel as an off-the-shelf part. They are pretty hard to come by. On the
other hand, I can call Fidanza and get a late-style flywheel off the
shelf.

Oh well.

rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |