fot

Re: Future FOT events

To: marshall@nefcom.net, tony@tonydrews.com, fot@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Future FOT events
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 09:33:43 EDT
In a message dated 10/05/2004 6:54:53 PM Central Daylight Time,
marshall@nefcom.net writes:

> I must be missing something... what's the attraction of a spectator
> event?  If you're not a vendor or promoter, what's the point of having
> spectators?   Now, if we could get a couple of them to run naked across
> the track in front of Henry to get him to slow down, that might be
> useful, but otherwise what good are they?  Don

Don:

Many feel that vintage racing is a celebration of the Golden Age of Sports
Car Racing, and especially 'the cars'.  Most everyone enjoys showing their
cars.
 But from a practical side, lots of spectators can help pay the costs.  ROAD
AMERICA crowds for the BRIC, and to a lesser degree ELVF and SVRA's spring
event are quite large, and impact what the track has to charge the sanctioning
bodies.

Conversely, the downside is large crowds present problems, including
security, and safety.  I hate coming off the track 'HOT' in July at ROAD
AMERICA, and
having to fight the crowd back to the paddock in a timely fashion.  With no
fan, and no fresh air, it is an issue.

Bill Dentinger