fot

RE: Who Is The official FOT Legal Counsel? formerly Cal

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Who Is The official FOT Legal Counsel? formerly Cal
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 13:20:44 -0700
>  I am not sure that I am understanding this document correctly.
> It apparently
> exempts cars from 1975 and earlier (Section (1)) that are currently
> registered in California, but it is not particularly clear about
> the same years cars
> that are not currently registered in California that are
> purchased elsewhere
> (reference Section 2, Paragraph (c) (ii)).

I read Sec 2 Para C (ii) to mean that pre-76 cars being brought into CA must
pass a one-time-only smog inspection in order to be registered here.

I wonder if the courts will strike this provision down, as they did the
previous "immigration tax" (where older cars were charged a hefty fee for
coming into the state).

BTW, I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on television.  YMMV, etc.

Randall