fot

LRP race report

To: "Friends of Triumph" <FOT@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: LRP race report
From: "jaboruch" <jaboruch@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:18:16 -0400
Since there are so many race reports recently, I figured that I would
chime in too.  A couple weekends ago I ran at the SCCA NARRC (North
Atlantic Road Racing Chanpionship) Runoffs at Lime Rock, running in
EP.  I qualified 4th over all and 2nd in class.  A consistantly fast
VW Golf/rabbbit was on the pole, followed by a 914 (FP) and a mini
stocker (SPU).   In qualifying I could not use full throttle, since if
I did the engine would die out.   I could go to redline with 3/4
throttle, but could never use full.  After qualifying I found 2
cracked intake manifold runners.  I replaced the manifold, but still
had the same problem in the race.

At the start, I fell back 2 places behind a BMW (325?) and an Acura
Integra.  After a few laps I got passed them and was running by myself
for a number of laps, when I realized that I was reeling in the lead
pack.  The VW was up front, followed by the 914, and the stocker.  At
half race distance, I got by both the 914 and Stocker on the main
straight and was on the tail of the VW.  I was looking to pass a
couple of times braking into turn 1, but it was too close.  With 7
laps to go, the VW slowed at the top of the downhill and I was past
him.  He wound up going out with tranny problems. The stocker finaly
got passed the 914 with 3 laps to go and was soon on my tail, but just
did not have enough to pass me.  I held on for first overall (this was
only the 2nd time that I have run EP, since I usually run vintage
SCCA).  The stocker set fastest lap of the race on lap 23 (of 25)
trying to catch me and my fastest was on lap 24 trying to stay in
front of him.  I ran my fastest lap ever at LRP getting down to a
1:01.7 (EP lap record is high 58's).

Still trying to figure out what's up with the carbs.  Looks like I
need to go to the dyno.  Joe(B)