fot

Re: [WtW] Re: [raceteachers] People who think physics don't

To: Larry Colen <lrcrace@red4est.com>, <wheeltowheel@wheeltowheel.com>,
Subject: Re: [WtW] Re: [raceteachers] People who think physics don't
From: "David Riddle" <dave@microworks.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 16:11:07 -0700
But that is making the assumption that the other drivers are actually paying
attention to your line and seeing that it as advantageous.  The "conventional
wisdom" has been to take a middle line into the Tower Turn with a late apex.
Some drivers do it and they see those that come up the inside as clueless
(which they must be to early apex that corner) and it seems they think they
same for anyone that stays out and takes and even later apex.

Maybe if some of the other fast guys start taking the line I do and teach the
conventional wisdom will change.  However I doubt it because they currently
only see the fact that they will be in front at the exit of the corner if they
keep to the traditional middle line.  Maybe after they have been passed by
"slower" cars (VW Rabbit chasing down a Porsche 944) on the 1/2 mile straight a
time of two will they re-evaluate which is the better line.

I only "discovered" this line by accident (and almost had one when I did)
during a National a couple years ago.  I was chasing another car for lap after
lap and while I would gain on him in the corners he would pull me on the
straight.  I thought I would try this other line to see if squaring up the
corner deeper in would let me get on the gas sooner.  It worked - to good - and
I actually had to get out of the gas and on the brakes as I ran up the rear of
the other car at the exit of the apex.  Ended up spinning that first time due
to avoiding hitting the other car but ever since then I have worked on the line
to take there and my is better.  Both my Porsche and Rabbit drivers were most
of the time able to pass either inside or outside of the cars in front of them
at the exit of the apex.

Signed,

Dave Riddle

*This email was sent via the remote web interface on the MicroWorks mail server.

From: Larry Colen <lrcrace@red4est.com>
Date:  Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:49:23 -0700

Sent via the WebMail system at microworks.net