fot

RE: LSD and ratio

To: "'Charly Mitchel'" <charly@mitchelplumbing.com>, fot@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: LSD and ratio
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 14:35:43 -0800
I've tried everything but the phantom lock--welded, Quaife, Detroit Locker
and Tran-X Salisbury. I like the Salisbury best, though I'm going to have to
replace the clutches this winter.

The Quaife isn't great for hard racing--as soon as you lift the wheel it
spins free--no torque applied to the driving wheel. It's fine if you never
really unweight a wheel. The Lockers are cool once you get used to the
"bang" of lockup--at least they are positive. They induce some understeer,
but it's nothing you can't finesse by unwinding the wheel and giving it the
boot. Welded is a pain in the paddock and there's a lot of push--again, it
cam be finessed, but it alters your driving style.

Salisbury is smooth, and makes you a little faster. I think that as my
clutches starting going away I got quicker, because I was always
compensating for the slightly diminished drive by keeping the steering
inputs lighter and throttle steering more. Also about that time my
competition (Cameron Healy in the Pooper) started going faster. All in all,
the Salisbury is the most expensive, requires the most maintenance (lockers
and quaifes are basically zero maintenance) and are the best. My second
choice would be locker, third quaife, fourth welded, last open.