fot

Re: Parts Washers & Cleaning Solutions

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, <Group44TR7@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Parts Washers & Cleaning Solutions
From: "Scott Janzen" <s.janzen@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 14:50:47 -0500
I just went through this a month ago.  Searched all over for a quality parts
washer I could afford for the home garage and couldn't find one.  Ended up
buying the Harbor Freight one on sale for $69, put castors on the legs to
roll it around, put a ball valve and hose on the drain, and bought a Little
Giant pump sold by MSC v($65, # 1-YS) (probably Grainger also) that is
designed for parts washers and pumping kerosene to replace the POS plastic
one that came with the Harbor Freight unit.  The whole set-up works great!
With a brass bristle brush, I can clean anything.  The only thing is,
kerosene smells and there is a bit of splash/overspray so I tend to save
stuff up, set up the unit in my driveway with a big piece of plastic
sheeting underneath and do it in batches.

Now I just need to find a way to filter the kerosene periodically to extend
its life.

The only units I liked better that I thought could be operated with
biodegradable cleaners were the ones tat cost thousands (Snap-on sells one)
that looked like a bead blasting cabinet and operate under high pressure.
Without 50-100 psi, I don't think biodegradeable ones will work.