fot

Re: Changing camshafts

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Changing camshafts
From: Henry Frye <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 09:31:17 -0500
At 11:49 AM 03/06/2005 -0800, kas kastner wrote:
>  For those that might some day want to change a cam or some other camshaft
>duty in the pits without taking off the head, make preparation before hand as
>follows:

As neat as this sounds, I can't ever imagine wanting to change out a
camshaft in the paddock. If something happened to the cam or a tappet that
wiped out a lobe, the remnants of the calamity are in the engine. I have
way too much invested in engine parts to come to any conclusion other than
push it into the trailer and open a cold one. It's spectator time. Those
big purses we are racing for are not worth trashing expensive bits, IMHO.   ;-)

Not to mention that I always thought it is frowned upon to reuse tappets on
different cams.

Now changing out a cam for some back to back pulls on an engine dyno, that
sounds like a worthy cause. But before I put that engine in a race car I
would probably want to refresh the tappets.

Getting impatient waiting for Spring in New England.........