fot

Race drivers????

To: fot@autox.team.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Race drivers????
From: malaboge@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:35:36 -0500
Why arenbt there more Indian racecar drivers? After a short trip to the
country (yes I was there for the "big wave") and seeing the driving style, I
remain impressed with the abilities of the locals. I noted that most of the
cars are not dented/beat up, which astounded me after witnessing their "style".
The other memory of riding around in traffic is that my right foot got very
tired and sore after having bent the floor on every cab I was in! Stop signs
are few (the government has learned where to save a buck) and absolutely no one
stops for one anyhow. Ditto for red lights. In fact a few times we were forced
to stop at a light, but as soon as there was any weakness shown by cross
traffic, we entered the fray without regard to lights or protests.
Herewith are a few "rules of the road" from observations of the indigenous
drivers:
1) You can ALWAYS merge.
2) Intimidation is the rule, brakes are for the fool.
3) An inch of clearance in any direction is normal. Two inches is not
clearanceb&itbs a passing opportunity.
4) To make something invisible, make it red, give it 2 wheels, make it
octagonal or make it light up.
5) Keep your mirrors folded up tight against the car body. See rule 3.
6) When not in heavy traffic, straddle the dotted line. You never know when you
need to protect your line.
7) When any gutsier driver attempts a pass, move as far as you can into his
lane and force him as close as you can to the inevitable 3 wheel cab. See rule
2.
8) Pass everything whenever possible. If you can gain one car length, even if
the lane ends or there is a family banquet occurring which includes large pack
animals ahead, go for it. See rule 1.
9) If, heaven forbid, you should have to stop, itbs OK the go 6 cars wide from
a 2 lane road. See rule 1 and rule 8.
Other than the "monkey sh*t" incident, it was a interesting trip