fot

Head Gasket Choice

To: FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: Head Gasket Choice
From: Cofrog@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:52:23 EST
I'm going to do a valve job and make "no lead head" on my street TR4 this
summer.  It has the 87mm pistons and when I last had it off, I used the this
stainless head gasket from the "decompression" set that was opened up to 87mm.
This was many years ago as this gasket was bought from and modified by Mother
Mueller Fabricators!  I did nothing special,  just permatexed both sides and
slapped it together and it's been fine.

It appears that I can use either a new copper head gasket or the stainless
one that can be gotten from BFE.  I read in Kas's book in the section by Mr.
Dunst that both the head and block surfaces must be very smooth to use his
copper
head gasket.  Would this mean I should go with the stainless option as I do
not have the ultra smooth surfaces?  Is the stainless gasket from BFE opened up
to 87mm?  Are there other options?

Thanks for any input.

Dan Forgey