fot

RE: stronger main cap bolts

To: "'rob '" <19to1tr6@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: stronger main cap bolts
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 18:57:02 -0700
I'm certain you're right, the Triumph bolts in general seem quite strong.
Problem is that many of them have been used and abused over the years.
replacement parts from any of the major suppliers are NOT nos parts but have
been made somewhere else--could be almost anywhere, but it's likely that
English is not the primary language.

Torque a bolt to near yield, run it for forty years, retorque a few times in
a racing motor and I don't have a clue what you've got.

I don't use ANS bolts or "aircraft" in general, expcept for specific
applications where I know what I'm getting into. ARP makes very good stuff,
intended for racing. It's relatively cheap (compared to a failed bolt). I
haven't had very many bolts fail, but the ones that have cost me dearly. Two
thousand bucks worth of transmission for a couple of flywheel bolts, six
grand worth of radical motor (Kawasaki) for a failed rod bolt. Lots of
broken motorcycle stuff, including losing the entire front end coming off a
jump when the fork damper bolts broke off at the heads.

I like good bolts. If nothing else they are really pretty.