fot

RE: Mitty mechanical stuff

To: "'Jack W. Drews'" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Mitty mechanical stuff
From: "Richard Taylor" <tarch@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 09:44:17 -0400
Jack,
Pucker up 'cause here comes a dumb one.
After I measure the valve stem diameter, do I add .003 to .004 or do I add
.006 to .008 so as to have the recommended clearance on both side of the
stem? Eight thousandths seems like a lot of waller room without seals. What
is your experience in hand-reaming the guides?
Richard

You Wrote:
There seems to be a rash of bronze valve guide sticking problems. Insist
that your machine shop gives you .003 to .004 stem-to-guide clearance. Best
not to use valve guide seals too. I'm resorting to measuring each guide
myself.