fot

Re: fot-digest V1 #1405

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: fot-digest V1 #1405
From: Guyots3@wmconnect.com
Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 02:15:38 EDT
owner-fot-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> I don't remember where I heard or read it, but I seem to recall that
> one problem with the Thackery washers is that they fatique and crack
> fairly often.  And one problem with the rubber cushion washers is that
> they are destroyed in a short bit of time by gasoline.  So the thing to
> di is use the rubber cushions on the top Weber mounting bolts where the
> vibration load is the highest, and the Thackery washers on the bottom
> two bolts.  Oh, and the rubber cushions and a cap make good valve cover
> washers if you run out of the Honda Gold Wing seals.
>
> mjb.

I have had the exact same experience with thackerays on my Webers fitted to a
couple of my cars over many years of use, albeit in long time road use, not
track use. They fatigue and crack.

I never had any such problem with the alternate rubber mounting washers,
although they are affected by gasoline/petrol over time.

As to the mounting rings, I have used the seperate rubber O-rings with the
large plastic flanges, (one O-ring on each side), and I also have used the
Swedish 'ABA' aluminum flanges with the single rubber O-ring bonded in the
center,
and I found these to be much better in use.

ps. I got my FOT shirt today, way cool.

Although I cannot take part in FOT racing activities at this point in my
life, due to family/work/financial commitments, I can still feel part of the
glory
that is FOT by proudly wearing my shirt at British car meets etc.

Thanks

Leon

<A
HREF="http://community.webshots.com/user/vitesse1963";>http://community.webshots.com/user/vitesse1963</A>