fot

RE: VARA Buttonwillow British Extravaganza

To: "'John W'" <john@race-dogs.com>, FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: VARA Buttonwillow British Extravaganza
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 11:44:14 -0700
Sounds like a great time was had by all. I need to get down to
Buttonwillow--I haven't run that track yet.

I was at SOVREN's Spring Fling this weekend. The weather wasn't very
cooperative, but I had a great time as I'm sure did all the other FOT guys
there. Saw Charlie Mitchell and Jeff Quick. Robin McBee was there with his
new TR3. He's not a member yet, but will be as soon as someone nominates
him. I don't have his email address handy or I would. Bill Hart and Tony
Garmey who lurk but never write were there, and Tony had his usual spring
fling party at his house and new shop. Fantastic shop. Two outrageous Lolas
being rebuilt in one section and Bill Devin's personal Devin SS (which was
never completed) being built in another. Tony is a really skilled fabricator
and race car restorer. He's the guy that takes care of the Hart collection
which includes the TR250K and the Flying Shingle. Tony is also a hell of a
racer.

Besides a great party we also had the second (or maybe third) extreme
croquet tournament which is held on Tony's front lawn which has a slope like
a cow's face. Further complicating the game is the rule that requires you
have a drink in one hand. I had the further handicap of a cigar that was too
good to set down. After trailing the pack for some time I won with a
completely fluke shot that went through three wickets at once.

Peyote did fine--got a third on Saturday chasing Cameron Healy's Pooper and
Jack Goffrette's Victress. Very tight for awhile, but Cameron got past the
Victress (which is blazing fast down the straights and intimidating in the
corners--big car) and I decided discretion was the better part of valor.

Sunday it rained like crazy. Cameron and Jack decided not to run. I got out
in first quickly, but got meatballed for an "oil leak" which was actually
just oil washing off my body pan from a catch tank spill on Friday. Ah well.
Second race I started from the back, got up to second and was chasing down
first when the yellow flags came out. Big wreck with ambulance and all--guy
was actually O.K. but his car looked near terminal. Finished on yellow.

Great fun.

Bill Babcock
Babcock & Jenkins