fot

Oil leaks, the dilletante racer, and the Wine Country Classic

To: "'fot@autox.team.net '" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil leaks, the dilletante racer, and the Wine Country Classic
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 21:02:09 -0700
So while we're all talking about the guys with the crew and the checkbook
I'm down in the shop pulling my engine to find my oil leaks and check out
general health before I drag this thing down to Infineon. At this point of
the evening it sure would be nice to have someone else getting the fresh
knuckle cuts while I watch the MotoGP race at Le Mans again. What a race.
Valentino Rossi is amazing.

Anyone else going to the Wine country classic? Hope so--not only is Sears
one of my all time favorite tracks, the wine country is a great event.
Hanging out in Sonoma is never very tough duty.

I'm not going to fiddle around this time--I aim to win this one. Last year I
got lonely with a big lead and let Thor Johnson and his Lotus 19 pass me to
have someone to play with. Just about the time I decided to take the lead
back some guys got into the wall in turn ten and we finished under yellow.

In the course of fulfilling her duty as the elegant part of the team, my
wife is going to cooking schools and wine tasting while I play at the track.
I won't even see her until Sunday--she's flying down a few days early with a
friend and then riding back with me. Smart kid.

Great parties at the wine country--saturday night they take over Sonoma
square and bring a bunch of race cars out from the track--like they do at
Elkhart Lake. Then they have "small plate" tastings from a bunch of great
local restaurants and lots of wonderful wine. Those whacky califonians do
know how to enjoy life--when they're not shooting one another.

As you might have guessed I'm stalling. Typing is easier than wrenching.
Back to work you lazy slug.