fot

Putting it back together--Gillanders Cam

To: "'FOT '" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Putting it back together--Gillanders Cam
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 16:00:07 -0700
I got the engine back in with a new cam thanks to Ken Gillanders. Ken,
that's a hell of a cam. I can feel the difference in my driveway! Of course
my driveway is an eighth of a mile long with two lefts and two rights. the
darn thing even idles nicely, though it sure sounds funny. Kind of
hollow-sounding.

I also got that aluminum distributor pedestal to work. I decided to build
the clearance into the flange rather than do it with a bunch of shims. I
machined the bottom to ten thousands clearance. I never paid any attention
to the clearance between the distributor drive gear and the pedestal before,
but clearly it's important. When I checked my old pedestal it was about
.010" so that's what I used.

I used thick plastigage to do the measurement. I happened to have some that
goes to .012"

Since I had to do more machining I built a fixture. when I machined away the
tach drive casting I just stuck it in a three jaw chuck and let it woblle a
little. I wanted more precision so I took a piece of delirin rod and made a
stepped plug that passes all the way through witha  little tep on both ends
so it can be driven tightly into the pedestal. then you just chuck one end
and run a live end into the other and it runs very true. Made it easy to
pretty up the outside and do a nice precise job on the flange.

Ken, I doubt I'll ever use it again--I can send it to you if you'd like.