fot

RE: Mallory Unilite Distributor

To: <triumphs@consolidated.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Mallory Unilite Distributor
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:28:55 -0700
> Now that I have converted to negative ground,
> I am using a
> MSD box.  The points have lasted for years (I have never changed
> them).

FWIW, I had the same experience with a Lucas dizzy & a MSD.  Same set of
points worked fine for 15 years, and were still working fine when I
converted to an optical pickup (because of excess wear in the dizzy).

> Another elementary question: What is the purpose of two sets of
> points in a distributor?

They are phased slightly differently (one set opens first), which allows for
a longer dwell time without having a faster ramp (which can lead to point
bounce).

Randall