fot

eBay Issues: Be careful

To: triumphs@consolidated.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: eBay Issues: Be careful
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 09:50:40 -0700
 Man, it's getting so you hardly dare bid on something on eBay anymore
without a horde of grifters attacking you. I wonder if eBay is doing
anything about it other than warning customers. Seems like it would be
feasible to prosecute--these guys have to make contact sometime to get the
money, and it's going to have a negative effect on eBay if it continues. You
wouldn't go into Wal-Mart very often if every time you came out there were
ten beggars at the door.

I've been bidding on TIG welders lately, trying to get a good one. Mostly
Miller 250 Synchrowaves. Every time I enter a bid I get all kinds of
scamsters with fake "second chance" offers, and all kinds of safe harbor and
security messages with spoofed addresses. There was one that I had a very
hard time determining if it was a scam--and I'm fairly good at this stuff.
Finally forwarded it to spoofs@ebay.com and the identified it as fraudulent.

Bottom line--be careful. These jerks could cost you money.