fot

Re: TR3 and TR4 tires (part 2 of 2)

To: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Subject: Re: TR3 and TR4 tires (part 2 of 2)
From: "Timothy F. Murphy" <timmurph@execpc.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 20:58:35 -0500
The delivered cost of the Yoko AVS ES100's shaved to 4/32 tread depth by Tire
Rack was $425.82.  Hopefully we will have the car on the track next season and
will be able to see how they do.  We choose these tires to get the driving
school done and the car sorted out and ourselves.  We didn't want to use up a
set of expensive tires for that.
    Regarding Tony's comment about all using the same or similar tires, if that
is the route to go then I would think "High Performance" street radials would
be a pretty good choice.  It seems to me that they would probably offer about
the same grip as the racing tires from the era that these cars were raced,
which would be in keeping with the spirit of vintage racing.  Just my thoughts.

    By the way, the guy at Tire Rack, who races himself, thought the Yoko's
would work pretty good but not being soft compound wouldn't have the ultimate
grip as the Hoosiers.  But he thought they'd stand up okay.

Tim