fot

Mallory failure alert

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Mallory failure alert
From: Henry Frye <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 08:17:57 -0400
I had an interesting failure at the Glen. My Mallory Dual Point dizzy
suddenly was giving me waaaay to much advance. EGT's spiked and water temp
ran hotter than normal. I reset the timing and the mark bounced quite a bit
more than it should.

I wanted to adjust the total (mechanical) advance the dizzy would throw. In
the Mallory, it is done by bending a little tab under the points plate. I
always thought this was rather crude. I had never adjusted the tab on this
distributor, as it came out of a parts car and was, I thought, brand new.

Much to my surprise, the tab was broken off and laying in the bottom of the
dizzy shell. The faster I reved, the more advance I got, up to the limit of
the springs. No mechanical stop on the advance at all. Scary.

I had my original Mallory in the trailer, so I swapped the points and
condenser and dropped it in. All was right again...

For under $50, a kit can be purchased from Mallory consisting of two plates
with setscrews to make this adjustment and lock it down. I'll be buying two
such kits.

Cheers