fot

Re: Vintage Boat Races...

To: Malaboge@aol.com
Subject: Re: Vintage Boat Races...
From: Susan Kahler <spitfiresuz@141.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 16:11:16 -0500
The VTR National this year had an event at the Rockford Speedway, which
hosts trailer races, on the same lines as the boat races except for
hosing down the track, but they add in the fun of having them race on
the figure-eight track configuration!  I got to ride hot laps with one
of the drivers during the event, and he said that they just demolish
themselves and the track but no one has a better time racing!  The aim
is to crash everyone elses' trailers and keep yours on to win.
Unfortunately, they did not run the trailer races while we were there,
but I looked up pictures on their Web site and there were boat trailers,
travel trailers, all sorts of trailers being towed and crashed around
the track!  What fun!  Brock, the driver I rode with, said they also run
train races in the figure eight configuration, where three cars are
chained together with the front one providing steering and the rear one
providing gas and brake, and races where one car sits on top of the
other, with the top one providing steering and the bottom one gas and
brake.

The nail biter of the night was the regular figure-eight racing, where
they ran a figure-eight track and collisions were imminent after about
the third lap.  To make it worse, one of the drivers spun out and did a
big donut in the middle and put a big smoke haze over the intersection,
so I am amazed no one smacked into anyone else!

I wish we lived closer to Rockford Speedway...

I also saw school bus racing in Florida.  What a hoot!

Keep Triumphing,
Susan      :)