fot

Re: overdrive question

To: Randall <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: Re: overdrive question
From: John Kipping <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 00:25:15 +1200
I think Leon is correct, the pressure is constant in a J and the oil is
diverted by the solenoid, which is why a good unit will change instantly
- any J type that has a delay of a few seconds is not as it should be. A
D type has to pump pressure up which is why even the best units have a
delay in engaging, Anyway if you want to fiddle with the pressure of a J
it depends what sort of relief valve is fitted, early ones are difficult
to do much with and even the addition of extra washers doesn't do much.
Later ones are very easy to adjust but care must be taken as even the
thin shims have a large effect. Ideally the pressure is matched to the
torque (or bhp), as standard the Spitfire is lowest with about 330 lbs
and the Stag highest with 550 (?) lbs, high pressures with little torque
tend to give an uncomfortable change as the there is little to stop the
overdrive clutch engaging violently, lots of torque is basically trying
to make the overdrive not engage which is why higher pressures are needed.

John Kipping.