fot

Re: Spitfire cam gear issues

To: Jay Creel <jaxonracing@yahoo.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire cam gear issues
From: Jay Creel <jaxonracing@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 18:11:11 -0700 (PDT)
found out that there is a required 0.020 to 0.070 end float necessary which
apparently was not set in when the distributor gear was installed.

Lesson learned.

Jay Creel <jaxonracing@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I have just recently completed a full restoration of a GP spitfire and I
brought the car to the track for the first time 2 weekends ago. While I have
experienced some "growing pains" the overall experience and sense of
accomplishment is great.

The issue that I am dealing with now is a timing gear on the bottom of the
distributor of my 1147cc motor that is nearly completely void of teeth and a
cam gear that is extremely chewed up. The car was being prepared for a race in
a couple weeks at LRP in CT where originally we thought the issue was
electrical. Fortunately I have a back up motor to drop in before the race.

The question I have, is has any else who has run an 1147 race car experienced
this in the past? What could the potential cause be?? We were thinking that
possibly the timing chain may have skipped a tooth on the sprocket and when the
chain regained a position on the sprocket it caused the 2 gears to jam.
Fortunately the motor shut right off, so hopefully I minimized any damages.

thoughts???

Jay R. Creel
#44 Jaxon Motorsports GP spitfire
SCCA NER