fot

Electromotive ignition

To: FOT LIST <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Electromotive ignition
From: greg <gtlund@cyberspeedway.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 21:37:36 -0700
     We have run the Electromotive direct fire ignition for about 15
years on the TR6 without any trouble from the unit. The pickup has
failed a couple times due to a piece getting between the toothed wheel
and the end of the pickup. The pickup is magnetized and will attract
metal debris such as MG or Porsche shrapnel. A big advantage with this
system is that the timing is rock solid and you can run a couple more
degrees advance because you are not compensating for the inaccuracy of
the the timing chain/cam twist/distributor drive mess.
     If you run this ignition with a total loss (no alternator) system
you have to stay on top of the battery charge as it doesn't like
anything under 11.5 volts especially when trying to start a cold engine
in 40 degree weather.
     Another tip is to use the Ford pickup off the 4.6 liter V8. It can
be run at a much higher gap (up to .090") and is dirt cheap at about
$18. It is also easy to mount.
     This is all moot if you can't run one in your sanctioning group.
Before we ran this setup we relied on the Lumenition conversion to the
stock distributor. Never had any trouble except for breaking off the
distributor drive tangs when we were trying to run to 7800 rpm. Fixed
that with bigger tangs and then the cam noses started breaking off.

Greg Lund