fot

Transmission question and mainshaft source

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Transmission question and mainshaft source
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 15:39:40 -0500
I'm in the process of rebuilding my gearbox after I took out 3rd gear at
Road America.  I have a couple of questions for the list:
1. I'm considering putting vent fittings into the gearbox top and the top
of the A-type overdrive and running them to my catch tank under the
hood.  I'm thinking that some of my tranny leakage issues are caused by oil
running out of the stock vent holes.  Has anyone done this?  Did it seem to
help eliminate leakage?  Bad idea / Good idea?
2. I find that I've got some galling on the nose of the mainshaft where it
fits into the bearing in the input shaft.  It's a late model TR-6 type (big
needle bearing) mainshaft for the overdrive box.  Nose is about 0.830"
diameter.  Anyone got a spare one of these in decent shape that is willing
to part with it?

Thanks in advance for your input.

- Tony Drews