fot

Brake tubing and bubble flares

To: FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake tubing and bubble flares
From: Larry Young <larry.young@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 08:18:23 -0500
My TR3 race car has the original calipers, the type with the crossover
tubing connecting the two sides. Last year a crack appeared at one of
the flared ends causing a leak (still had brakes with pumping).  A
replacement was made, which worked fine until recently when it broke at
the flare.  The bubble broke off and separated and the peddle went
straight to the floor.  Luckily, I was not racing at the time of
failure.  My question, of course, is how to avoid problems in the
future.  The only replacements I've seen are fixed lengths of straight
tubing, either too long or too short.