fot

M-O VSCDA Report <2 of 2>

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: M-O VSCDA Report <2 of 2>
From: Henry Frye <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 20:45:30 -0400
Continued from Part 1

The grid positions for the feature on Sunday afternoon were the same. I was
in fourth behind the Lotus, Alfa and the Midget. Charlie Foss in the Lotus
did a similar start as before, but this time I didn't fall back as far. As
the Lotus, Alfa and the Midget went head to toe through turn one, there
must have been a little checking up because I went full guns through one
and passed both the Midget and the Alfa before turn two! I set my sights on
Charlie in his Lotus and we proceeded to pull away from the Midget and the
Alfa. On about the third lap or so I made my move to the inside on the back
straight and squeaked by for the lead. I made it stick, and Charlie was
pretty much on my rear bumper for the better part of the rest of the race.
I was not as fast watching my mirror for Charlie as I was trying to figure
out how to get by him, so the Alfa caught back up to us. As we started
lapping slower traffic, things were getting interesting. We came upon a
slower car at the end of the back straight and it looked like we were going
to go into the right hander 3 wide. Charlie snuck by me on the inside. I
closed the door on the Alfa, and a few turns later he retired, not sure
why. I was so intent following Charlie I missed the "one to go" signal, and
had a decent shot at taking him at the end of the back straight again, but
thinking I could pull off a cleaner pass the next time around I didn't go
for it. But there was no next time! I happily took second place and was
thrilled to have broken into the 40's with a 1:49 and change.

I found Charlie in the paddock and we had a great chat reliving the very
hard fought but very clean race, he had as much fun as I did. What a way to
end the season...

My only disappointment of the weekend was my inability to convince Don
Brick to run another year. It's true, Don wants to sell his car. He is
looking for very reasonable money for a good car with an excellent record
for finishing events. I think we should do him a favor and spread the word.