fot

RE: help with TR7 TR8 brake upgrade

To: "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: help with TR7 TR8 brake upgrade
From: Terry and Cindy <roadandtrack@hypermax.net.au>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 12:35:38 -0000
I've been asked to help another local TSOA club member do a brake upgrade
on a road going TR8 that ideally needs to stick with its original 13"
wheels. I 've done this before on TR's where we changed the wheel diameter,
but sticking with 13" appears to have some problems

I cant find the original spec on TR8 rotors, but I recall they were 12mm
thick. can someone confirm this????????

this car already has narrow 4 piston AP calipers which  came off an Austin
Princess. Does anyone know of anything else that bolts on that is wide
enough to take a vented disc (eg 20-22mm)??  I've seen adaptations of both
Volvo & Willwood calipers, but both needed machining of the mounting holes,
which is not legal here for road cars

I have found an article referring to the use of DBA631 discs (vented) , but
these Ford/mazda van discs are virtually flat, and need a huge adaptor to
get the rotor running close to where the TR ones does. Does anyone have any
first hand experience of a vented rotor that is a very close fit??

any help/leads appreciated.

thanks

Terry O'Beirne
Australia