fot

RE: Synthetic oils

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Synthetic oils
From: "Norlin Engineering" <norlinengineering@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 22:56:55 -0800
== fot at autox.team.net supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
==    http://fatchancegarage.com

Two stories.

In the late 1970's, I was approached by a potential sponsor for my formula
ford (Titan MK5 with a well worn Cortina motor).  Turned out to be an Amsoil
dealer that tried to get me on board.  I finally ended up with a couple of
cases of free oil to try out(big mistake). I had been running Valvoline 40
wt racing oil.  Ran a few laps to get a baseline and then came in and
changed to the Amsoil.  Went back on track and after about 4 laps, the blow
by (never noticed with the Valvoline) pumped about 6 quarts of oil out of
the dry sump tank, thru the catch tank and onto the track, with the result
being a spun bearing and a blown motor.  My recommendation is NEVER put
synthetic oil into anything other than a brand new motor with known good
clearances.  Second recommendation is to never race a car that doesn't have
a huge oil pressure idiot light that comes on at about 20 psi.

Second story.  I used to own a 1996 Saturn.  After about 75000 miles, it was
using a quart of oil every 350 miles or so.  This appears to be a well known
Saturn problem that GM refuses to acknowlege.  Anyway, I heard about Quaker
State for higher mileage engines.  After doing a bit of online research, I
decided to give it a try.  Almost instantly, it halved my oil consumption to
about 700 miles.  Also increased gas mileage by about 2 mpg, probably due to
less blow by.  Well worth the extra 50 cents a qt.

Jim Norlin