fot

Re: Pneumatic shop lines - PVC OK?

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pneumatic shop lines - PVC OK?
From: greg <gtlund@cyberspeedway.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 08:40:49 -0700
== fot at autox.team.net supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
==    http://fatchancegarage.com

Bill,

     I sell hydraulics and pneumatics for a living. I have personally
witnessed a PVC pipe explosion in our own repair shop (not installed by
me). It was really spectacular. No one was injured but that was because
no one was within the 30 foot blast area. Sharp shards of pvc went
everywhere. The line splits lenthwise. Insurance companies don't allow
it in commercial installations, OSHA will write it up, and the Plastic
Pipe Institute won't approve it. The problem is indeed embrittlement. In
the above case it was due to using schedule 40 AND an oil leaking
compressor. The oil, especially some synthetic compressor oils common in
screw type compressors, greatly accelerates embrittlement. I would stick
with copper if the lines are exposed. If you have a way to run the lines
through a wall where they would be shielded if they explode you might
use schedule 80 pvc. There is an ABS plastic pipe called Duraplus that
is rated for compressed air systems.

Greg Lund